Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Hearts for Haiti and Under Bed Disaster Kit

My heart goes out to those in Haiti who have suffered loss and pain. So many are left without families, homes or even basic necessities like food and water. I have made donations and hope to continue to do all I can to help. As we assist the people of Haiti and help them rebuild, I pray we can also help them prepare for future crisis and become a strong independent nation. Since Utah has it's own active fault line, I have pulled out information from the newspaper to help my family prepare for an emergency like this, as well. (READ ON to learn what YOU should keep under your bed to be prepared in an emergency...)

At times like this, I am grateful to represent a company like Stampin' Up! who has created 5,000 hygiene kits and are donating $2 from the sale of every I {heart} Hearts stamp set (through February 28th) to the Red Cross Haiti Relief and Development Fund, which will be used to provide immediate relief as well as long-term support. Here are a few samples using this set (available in wood mount-$26.95 or clear mount-$18.95):

I love the simplicity of that card :)

 
We'll be making this card at the Stamp-a-Stack class this Saturday :)

Have a Heart, Share Some Love! If you would like to order this set and do some good for Haiti, go to my website and click "Shop Now" on the top right under my name or give me a call 801-376-8685.

Now, as promised, I recently learned that if you were sleeping when an emergency happened (such as an earthquake, tornado or hurricane), most likely you won't have time to find what you need or can't see to find these important items. Take just a few minutes this week to assemble this kit and BE PREPARED! This is NOT your 72 hour kit (which I hope you have and may also want to keep close at hand or in your car), but a 72 SECOND Disaster Kit. Not only is it CREATIVE, but it just may save your life. If you have children, help them make one, too.


Under Bed 72-Second Disaster Kit -
Keep items in a Bag/backpack (this will prevent glass and other debris from getting in your shoes)
Sturdy Shoes
Pair of Socks
Emergency contact list
Whistle (to attract the attention of emergency personnel)
Dust mask (Useful in fires and earthquakes)
Work gloves (To protect your hands when moving glass or debris)
Several bottles of water
Flashlight (Don’t use if you smell gas)
Light stick on a lanyard
Pry bar
Portable radio with spare batteries

On Bedside Night Stand Keep:
Extra car keys
Cell phone and charger
Glasses
Wallet

No comments: