Saturday, November 10, 2012

Gift of Reading

There is nothing better than a new book to give (or receive) at Christmastime! Aside from stamping, I've also worked in a bookstore may years (to support my OTHER happy habit) so as the holidays are coming up, I want to share a few of my favorite recommendations AND a coupon for your shopping pleasure :)

TO READ TO YOUR CHILDREN:
A beautifully illustrated story of a boy learning that to give is better than to receive (or keep), this book will become a treasured tradition for your family to read aloud for the holidays. You can also download the interactive App for your Ipad and while supplies last when you buy this at Deseret Book, you get a free CD of the book being read President Monson :)


BOOK MADE INTO A FAMILY MOVIE:
Christmas Oranges



A LESSON IN FORGIVENESS:
The true story of a man whose expectant wife and 2 of their 4 children were killed in a car accident caused by a drunk teenage driver. I wish I could give this to everyone I know: It made me think about how willing I am to follow God's will for me, rather than insist that I know better than Him and about how forgiving truly frees us to live a life of purpose.


A BOOK TO COOK WITH:
My go-to blog in a book format! I love that they divide it into 4 seasons and another fav feature: The Roll-Over Ingredients, an index directing you to other recipes that use up ingredients when you bought more than you needed. Genius! Not to mention that my family has loved ANYTHING I have made from their first cookbook.


A FUTURE CLASSIC:
When we moved, I purged a lot of books, but this is one that I'll be keeping because it beautifully defines what a glorious gift the ability to read truly is! It is based on the true story of Sang Ly who helps her husband collect trash on the largest municipal dump in Cambodia to keep their family alive. The reader journeys with Sang Ly as she discovers a secret about the grumpy old woman who collects her rent that will free both of them from the past. I read parts aloud to my husband and bawled out loud on the couch as I finished it. Click on the cover to see a video that tells you more! Seriously: Get this book now. One for you and one for your best friend.

There are many more I could recommend, but this post is getting too long as it is :)

So here's the coupon (good through November 30) and hope it helps you get your shopping started:

No comments: