Tuesday, February 11, 2014

3-D Paper Piecing: Attention to Detail

My style is simple. Usually. But when I saw the Friday Mashup Challenge for 3-D Paper Piecing, my interest was piqued and this little elephant from the You're Amazing stamp set came to mind:


I did my paper piecing a little different as I didn't have the 3-d glue suggested in the tutorial video, so I cut out the largest whole elephant image (including hat), then layered it on my base with the Multipurpose Liquid Glue, next cut out the elephant head/trunk/hat and adhered that, and finally, the party hat! Other than that, I followed the tutorial substituting the tools I had from Stampin' Up!

It's fussy, detail-oriented work, but I loved the result! You can watch Mariska's tutorial on Splitcoaststampers. 

Combining the Friday Mashup 3-D and color challenge with the sketch from Create with Connie & Mary, here is the finished card:
I've also challenged my Stampin' Family to "Go for the GOLD" so you may notice the gold sequins that add a little bling to the whole thing as an homage to the US Olympic Team :)

If you love this card, you can make one of your own at my 3-D Card Class on February 20th!

Card Recipe (all supplies available in my Stampin' Up! Store):

Stamps: You're Amazing
Ink: Stazon Black, Cherry Cobbler, Crumb Cake, Marina Mist stamp pads. Stampin' Write Markers: Smoky Slate, Sahara Sand, Soft Sky, Marina Mist and Primrose Petals. Blender Pens.
Paper: Cherry Cobbler, Soft Sky, Whisper White and Crumb Cake card stock. Scraps from Christmas DSP (?), Polka Dot Parade & Natural Composition Specialty Designer Series Paper
Accessories: Primrose Petals 3/8" Stitched Satin Ribbon (#126844), Gold Sequin Trim (#132983), Multipurpose Liquid Glue, Circle Collection Framelits, Big Shot, 2-1/2" Circle Punch (#120906), Essentials Paper Piercing Pack (#126187), Paper Piercing Tool, Stampin' Pierce Mat, Stylus, Stampin' Dimensionals
post signature

6 comments:

Debbie Henderson Debbie's Designs said...

You have created a great card with the elephant image and the banners. What a great combination! Thanks for playing Create with Connie & Mary this week!

Deb said...

This is fantastic!! I love how you used this stamp set! And the paper piecing technique on the elephant looks so great! Really gives him dimension! Love this!! Thanks for playing the Saturday challenge at Create with Connie and Mary!

Tara Bourgoin said...

What a wonderful card! That elephant looks great with this technique - good choice :) I love the 'ticket' banner and the sequins are a great touch. Thanks for sharing with us this week at The Friday Mashup!

Simply Sara Stampin' said...

Wow! You did a great job with the paper piecing, Loni! Your card is so cute...and awesome, just like it says. :) Thanks for playing with us at the Friday Mashup.
Sara

Cindy Brumbaugh said...

Loni, absolutely a fantastic card! I love that stamp set but struggle with it- thanks for inspiration to do the paper piecing with it. All of your details are amazing- the tickets hung with sequins, the amazing behind the image, the multiple layers, and boy you rocked the colors on this card, too! Thanks for playing with the Friday Mashup this week!

Claire Broadwater said...

Lori, I LOVE your card! I bought this set and never used it. Your card is very inspirational! The colors, paper piercing and details are fabulous! Congratulations on winning the FMU! You certainly earned it!