Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Showered with Love

It seems that weddings, births and deaths comes in clusters. Happily, I am in the midst of weddings and with a daughter that just got engaged last week, there is more to come :)

Today I wanted to share the shower my friend Rita and I hosted for our friend Sariah. I shared the invitation I created with My Digital Studio here and we used it for part of the decor:


We served sandwiches and guests made their own sugar cookie "fruit pizza":

We played the guessing jar game  though what I failed to mention in the original post (which I'll fix today) is that after you have made your guesses, the answers are revealed and whomever is closest to the correct answer wins that jar or container! We didn't play it quite like that at Sariah's party, but I think I would do it that way if I could do it over again. 
At the shower we called it the 5 Senses Game because they could feel (household items were tied up in the pillowcases below), smell or taste (spices from the kitchen), hear (some things were wrapped up) or look at the jars to make their guess (see). 

Here are some ideas if  you are doing this for a household shower:
  1. A small jar of chocolate chips (our half pint held over 300 chips!)
  2. Spices (just wrap a paper around the label and let them smell/taste): Basil, Oregano, Pumpkin Pie Spice, etc..
  3. Wrap a box of band aids or staples and let them shake to see if they can guess the sound
  4. Put household items into a pillowcase to let them feel them. In one we had kitchen utensils such as a garlic press, salad tongs, vegetable peeler, etc. In another were household items like a calculator, a 9 volt battery, a ratchet screwdriver, etc...
  5. A jar of paper clips (guess how many)
  6. A jar of loose change (guess how much $)
  7. Take the labels off cans (like mandarin oranges and sweetened condensed milk) and see if they can guess what's inside.
You could also have them guess how much something weighs or what day the groom's birthday is on (a calendar). Remember to NUMBER each item and let everyone have time to make their guesses. 

There were plenty of awesome gifts (you can imagine why she is blushing if you look at the bag): 


And finally, I was excited to try out this cool recipe from the gals over at Our Best Bites for a favor for each of the guests. It's great for hands or feet! And it smells good enough to eat. 
Which technically, you could do. 

It was a beautiful shower for a beautiful friend.

I'd love to hear how any of these ideas work for you. Leave me a comment if you try something and tell me how it goes!

post signature

No comments: