These are my sweet sisters, Megan and Mindi:
...okay, I got the great sisters!
They have been life-savers for me throughout my life (my interior designers, fashion consultants, reality-check, manicurists and wedding planners) and while we love each other more than life itself, sometimes we don't always see eye to eye, which makes me love this quote:
"If you don't understand how a woman could both love her sister dearly
and want to wring her neck at the same time,
then you were probably an only child." ~Linda Sunshine
Remind me to tell you about the "Die a Virgin" incident....but I digress.
Last month was Mindi's birthday and after all her hard work on the wedding, I wanted to do something really special for her. At a scrapbook retreat, my friend Jennifer F. shared an idea for a "Joy Jar" she made for one of her sisters and I ran with it:
Inside the Sunshine Jar are envelopes with an opportunity to discover JOY:
Sometimes they are opportunities to serve, sometimes they are opportunities to play, occasioanally they are chances to grow and sometimes they are just FOR FUN! Once in a while there is a number on the card and it corresponds to a gift wrapped individually in a bag.
Because Mindi's husband is the manager of a hotel and they travel ALOT, and never do they stay at less than a 4 star hotel...this luggage tag was one of my favorite coordinating gifts
(in case you can't read it, it says "I'll follow you to the ends of the earth...but not to Motel 6")
Joy Jar Recipe:
All from Stampin' Up! unless indicated by *asterisk. To order supplies to make your own, click HERE.
- Stamps: Feel Goods (Spring Catalog pg 21) and Blue Ribbon (Catalog pg 33)
- Ink: Tangerine Tango
- Paper: Try Summer Smooches Designer Series Paper (item 125409) Card stock: Whisper White, Daffodil Delight
- Etc: Paper Doilies (129399), Calypso Coral Baker's Twine (122976), Punches: 1-3/8" Circle (119860) and 1-3/4" Scallop Circle (119854). Simply Scored Tool (122334) to make the rosette on front. Big Shot (113439) and Scallop Envelope Bigz Die (113462). Wide mouth jar and lid. Ribbon.
- Optional: Iridescent Ice embossing powder (101930) and heat tool (129053)
Here are some ideas if you'd like to create your own Joy Jar/Jar of Sunshine, here are a few ideas of opportunities to include inside and as coordinating gifts (and BTW, Mindi, these aren't necessarily in your jar):
- Pay for someone's order behind you at the drive-through restaurant (include $)
- Blow Bubbles (wrap a jar of bubbles)
- Read a book to a child
- Try a new exercise (dvd, gym trial membership or workout clothing)
- Take a flower to a friend just because
- Crank up the music and DANCE!
- Write 20 things to be happy for in a journal (wrap a new journal)
- Listen to classical music for half an hour
- Make a fruit smoothie in your blender
- Take a drive alone. Park somewhere with a view and thank God for your eyes.
- Bake cupcakes (wrap a cake mix, cute cupcake wrappers, frosting & sprinkles) and share some with a friend
- Go on a picnic
- Share your favorite scripture of JOY
- Send a card to a friend
- Take out the trash for your neighbor
- Give them a reason to practice a talent: Do they paint? Wrap a paintbrush. Play an instrument? Give some music! Craft? Give them a Paper Pumpkin* subscription :) *choose me as your demonstrator!
- Plan a party for friends (Murder Mystery Dinner? Minute to Win It?)
- Pop Pocorn and watch a movie (wrap popcorn)
- Build a fort
- Forgive someone
- Clean out your purse
- Get a pedicure (gift certificate or nail polish)